Week of 1/5/15
After what was a lovely and relaxing winter break I am excited for the start of a new "semester." I have been busy planning the upcoming month's projects for our Maker group and with the help of several generous donations, things are underway. This week we constructed catapults out of craft sticks, rubber bands, and other odd loose ends. After watching a riveting scene in Netflix's new show Marco Polo (eh) I figured a catapult would be an excellent project to experience the physics of this machine. Before we began we discussed what we already knew about catapults. We knew they could be made of wood. We knew a weight could be involved to propel an item from the other end. We knew they were kinda like a see-saw. It was obvious from various depictions in popular entertainment (see LOTR) that our group was familiar with the basic elements of this somewhat complicated device. A device that can be simplified down to a spoon flinging a pea to start a food fight. So we set out creating our own catapults with craft sticks, rubber bands, hot glue, and egg cartons. Results varied but all managed to launch the brightly colored pom poms into the air. As an added effect, we dipped the pom poms in paint and launched them onto a large piece of paper. The resulting attempts were fun and hilarious to watch as they careened through the air only to come to a halt once they met the paper.
E, J, and M prepare their catapults.
A nice close up of Y's finished product.
R added some ammunition storage to his catapult. Loved the creativity.